Multitenant applications allow you to manage a single database system for multiple customers.
For such a system, you can use your database in one of two ways:
- You can manage separate databases per tenant
- Or you can establish markers on the data that says this data belongs to tenant A, this data belongs to tenant B, and so on
The big challenge you face is when you wind up with a lot of commonality when each customer wants its own special look and feel for their system.
Other challenges to multitenancy include:
- Having different data which must be kept isolated
- Having to handle shared data
- Managing different business rules and behavior for each user
- Being able to guarantee your customers that despite all the moving parts, everything will just work
RavenDB CEO Oren Eini talks about the exciting features in RavenDB 5.0 that let you tackle these multitenancy challenges in your applications.
You will see:
- How you can scale up significantly across many tenants
- How you can share data between locations
- How you can move a tenant from one database to another database