Differences between backup and export
There are two ways to extract data from RavenDB database. You can either backup your database by
Raven.Backup.exe tool or
export it by using
Raven.Smuggler.exe or the Studio. You need to select the appropriate option which
will satisfy your requirements. This article describes differences between Backup / Restore and Export / Import options.
- Backup contains complete indexes - definitions and data
- Export doesn't include index data, indexes will be rebuilt after importing based on exported definitions
- Backup is a snapshot of database data at the point when the backup was started
- Export includes documents created during the export
Restored database state:
- Restore requires an empty database (unless we restore from an incremental backup)
- Import can be run on an existing database
- Backup / Restore only works on the same architecture / Esent version
- Import / Export works between different architectures and Esent versions
- Backup is usually much faster than an export
- Export is much smaller than backup
As an administrator, should I do backups, exports or both to be on the safe site?
You should perform backups which allow quickly restore from a failure on the same system.
Note that also incremental backups are supported.