Create New Backup Task
1) Task Name (Optional)
- Choose a name of your choice
- If no name is given then RavenDB server will create one for you based on the defined destination
2) Backup Task Type:
- Backed Up Data: The database data in a JSON format, including documents, indexes (definitions only) & identities
(same as exported database format)
- Size of backup data: Smaller
- Backup Speed: Faster
- Restoring: Slower, Indexes have to be rebuilt from their definitions
- Backed Up Data: The raw database data including the indexes (definitions and data)
- Size of backup data: Larger
- Backup Speed: Slower
- Restoring: Faster, Indexes do not have to be rebuilt
3) Preferred Node (Optional)
- Select a preferred mentor node from the Database Group to be the responsible node for this Backup Task
- If no node is selected, then the cluster will assign a responsible node (see Members Duties)
Content & Scheduling
Backup Task Schedule & Content
Select the content to back up. Note: Both types can be scheduled.
Full Backup will back up all the database data every time the task is scheduled to work
Incremental Backup will only back up the delta of the data since the last Backup that has occurred
Schedule the Backup Task to occur at regular intervals (daily, monthly, hourly) at specific times.
1. If only Incremental Backup is set, then a Full Backup will occur only in the first time that the Task is triggered,
followed by Incremental Backups according to the scheduled time.
The Full Backup that is done the first time will be either a 'Backup' or a 'Snapshot', depending on the type selected.
Data that is backed up in Incremental Backup is always of type 'Backup' - even if the Backup Task Type is 'Snapshot' !
A Snapshot is only occurring when scheduling 'Full'.
In the example above:
* A Full Backup is scheduled every day at 02:00 AM - and in addition to that -
* An Incremental Backup is scheduled every 6 hours
1. Enable / disable the retention policy. If disabled, the backups are stored indefinitely.
If enabled, deletion can be scheduled.
2. Select the retention period. Once a backup is older than the specified amount of time,
it will be deleted during the next scheduled backup task.
Creating Manual Backups
Manual Backup Creation
Manual backups have only some of the properties of periodic backups. The backup can
be full or snapshot. The backup can be encrypted or not. The backup must have a
destination, chosen from the same options as a periodic backup.
Manual backups do not have names, they are be identified by the time they were
created. Manual backups are not scheduled, they occur exactly once: when the
Backup Now button is pressed. The backup cannot be modified afterwards from the
Manual backups do not have retention policies, in other words they are not set to
be automatically deleted.