You are currently browsing legacy 4.0 version of documentation. Click here to switch to the newest 5.1 version.
Client API: What is a Document Store
The Document Store is the main Client API object which establishes and manages the communication between your client application and a RavenDB cluster. Communication is done via HTTP requests.
Caching is built in. All requests to the server(s) and their responses are cached within the Document Store.
A single instance of the Document Store (Singleton Pattern) should be created per cluster per the lifetime of your application.
The Document Store is thread safe - implemented in a thread safe manner.
The Document Store exposes methods to perform operations such as:
- Session - Use the Session object to perform operations on a specific database
- Operations - Manage the server with a set of low level operation commands
- Bulk insert - Useful when inserting a large amount of data
- Conventions - Customize the Client API behavior
- Changes API - Receive messages from the server
- Aggressive caching - Configure caching behavior
- Events - Perform custom actions in response to the Session's operations
- Data Subscriptions - Define & manage data processing on the client side