To access the External Replication Task Studio interface:
a. Open the Databases view in the source server.
b. Select the source database.
c. Click Tasks tab.
d. Select Ongoing Tasks
e. Click Add a database task
f. Click External Replication to access the following interface.
Create New External Replication Task
Be sure that you are defining the task from the correct source database.
Task Name (Optional)
- Choose a name of your choice
- If no name is given then the RavenDB server will create one for you based on the defined connection string
Set Replication Delay Time (Optional)
- If a delay time is set then data will be replicated only after this time period has passed for each data change.
Having a delayed instance of a database allows you to "go back in time" and undo contamination to your data due to an attack, faulty patch script, or other human errors.
Set Preferred Responsible Node (Optional)
- Select a preferred mentor node from the Database Group to be the responsible node for this External Replication Task
- If not selected, then the cluster will assign a responsible node (see Members Duties)
Create a new RavendDB connection string
- Select a connection string from the pre-defined list -or- create a new connection string to be used.
The connection string defines the external database and its server URL to replicate to.
Give the connection string a meaningful name.
Copy the exact name of the destination database.
- If the source database is encrypted, make sure that the destination is encrypted as well.
Copy the URL from the destination server here.
- Be sure to copy only the server URL - without extraneous details.
Click "Save" to activate the External Replication task.
If the destination database is in a cluster
You can set multiple connection strings to multiple different nodes on different machines
so that if one is down, the other can keep the destination updated.
See Offline Behavior - When the destination node is down.
If you define only one node's connection string, RavenDB will wait until that node is online and will then update any missing information.