You are currently browsing legacy 3.5 version of documentation. Click here to switch to the newest 5.1 version.
Configuration: Storage Engines
RavenDB supports two storage engines and each database can be created with a different one:
- (Default) ESE (Extensible Storage Engine aka Esent) - Microsoft storage engine available in Windows. More info here.
- Voron - custom made managed storage engine created by Hibernating Rhinos.
- key size must be less than 2048 bytes in Unicode
- key size must be less than 2024 bytes in UTF8
- no support for DTC transactions
- disk must handle UNBUFFERED_IO/WRITE_THROUGH properly
- .NET 4.5 or higher
- Hotfix for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2
You can watch Level 400 - Diving into Voron talk by Oren Eini if you are interested in details about Voron.
In order to change a storage engine in the Studio, while you are creating a database, go to
Advanced Settings and change
Storage Engine according to your needs.